Try the Golden Paste recipe, by Dr. Doug English
This is the number one Golden Paste (G.P) recipe, tried and tested by hundreds of thousandd of members and their pets in the Turmeric User Group and spread around the world. Try it yourself - it's quick, cheap and easy.
In most cases, we advise against the use of turmeric and/or curcumin capsules, pills, supplements, tonics, drinks, etc.
This recipe may be used for humans as well as other animals
- 1/2 cup (125 ml / 60g) turmeric powder
- 1 cup water (250 ml) plus 1 cup of water extra in reserve, if needed
- 1/3 cup (70 ml) coconut oil (use raw, unrefined, cold-pressed)
OR linseed oil (flaxseed)
OR olive oil (use virgin / extra virgin)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
Note: the amount of pepper has been increased since May 2016, on Doug English’s recommendations and review of greater success in a large number of cases using the extra pepper. Omit pepper if you cannot tolerate it. The absorption of turmeric will still be improved by cooking it and adding oil, but it will be less effective without the pepper.
Just starting out on Golden Paste? Start small, just 1/4 of a teaspoon twice a day and build up
1) Bring the turmeric and water to a boil in a saucepan, then lower heat and simmer until you have a thick paste. This should take about 7-10 minutes and you may need to add the extra water along the way for good consistency.
2) Add the freshly cracked pepper and oil AFTER cooking, when it has been removed from heat and cooled down (still warm to touch but not burning), about 10 minutes later.
3) Stir in well to mix the oil in everywhere and allow to cool again (if coconut oil is hard, it should melt in the mixture).
Do not cheat and use pre-made pepper meal, it is best to use freshly cracked pepper for much better effect.
Do not add honey or any sweeteners, that will ruin the actual benefits.
Try 1/4 of a teaspoon, twice a day (with food and water), and build up to 3 - 4 times a day, past a few weeks of eating turmeric and finding effects.
If you need more effect, increase to 1/2 - 3/4 of a teaspoon 3 - 4 times a day. You don't need much. Some move on to a full teaspoon for even more effect, see what your body needs and feed small amounts routinely to keep metabolising in your system, as Duggie says: "Little and often is best".
When adding turmeric to your diet for the first time, if there are any signs of loose stools or upset stomach then you may wish to reduce your serving to 1/8 tsp or so, and remain at a lower dose for a longer period. It will eventually pass and your gut microbiome will soon benefit.
The Golden Paste will only keep for 2 weeks in the fridge, do not leave out, best kept in glass containers
Freeze a portion if you think you have made too much to use within 2 weeks (do not use glass containers in the freezer). It has become popular to use silicon moulds (coffee bean size) to store the excess mixture into, which is then easy to pop out a single serve later on.
If you don't like the earthy taste you can find some ideas here to add it to your diet.
Or you may like to try our own turmeric treat the Turmeric Life Power bars, made to work.
The thing about cinnamon and the "cat pee" smell...
Yes, sometimes your dog may smell a little like cat pee after starting Golden Paste; we're not exactly sure why, it could be toxins being expelled or getting used to new food, it will eventually go away but you can get rid of the smell with cinnamon.
- Add 1 tablespoon to the recipe above, at the end of cooking
Use Ceylon cinnamon. Do not use cassia cinnamon
It's all here at Duggie's Turmeric Life...