It should be an easy answer but for the majority of us raised on a Western diet, turmeric is not included, it is still very exotic, even though a part is in almost every American mustard.
So how do you eat turmeric??
We asked this question in Doug English’s Turmeric User Group (over 270,000 members) to find out the most popular way to consume turmeric for people who are new to the flavour.
First, try a fraction of a teaspoon of Golden Paste straight down the hatch.
That’s right, some people prefer to treat it as "medicine" and chase it with a quick drink. See what you think, some enjoy the Earthy taste.
What follows are some great ideas for people who may be struggling to consume turmeric at all, let alone on a daily basis.
IMPORTANT: You have to actually make the Golden Paste first and then add that after cooking or heating your other dish/drink. You can add the important 3 ingredients together if out of time but it is critical to cook the turmeric to get the best out of it.
DO NOT reheat G.P after it's prepared.
And keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks only.
And then just add a little teaspoon of GOLD...
In your drink...
By far the most popular option appears to be adding G.P to a favourite drink. Here are a few of our members' suggestions:
- Create "Golden Milk" (Golden Paste mixed into non-dairy milk)
- Turmeric tea (and adding some ginger was also popular)
- G.P mixed into coffee
- Tomato juice
- In a smoothie (avoid honey and other sweeteners!)
- In a broth
- With fermented drinks such as kombucha or kefir
- Orange juice
In your food...
- Soups and stews are a popular option as the flavour of G.P does not dominate the final flavour
- As a salad dressing - add some G.P to olive oil and some apple cider vinegar and you have a tangy dressing
- In curries and stir-fries - the Asian diet is a terrific accompaniment to turmeric. Don’t forget to add G.P to your sauce!
- With eggs - scrambled, omelettes and devilled
- In plain yoghurt - a teaspoon of G.P with a tablespoon (or 2) of natural (unsweetened, non-dairy) yoghurt
There are lots of ways to eat Golden Paste...
- In your cereal (particularly porridge)
- With peanut butter
- Mixed with black pudding
- Spread on toast or on a cracker
- Stirred in mashed potatoes, or tomato pasta sauce or with guacamole is great!
And put some pepper on it.