It should be an easy answer but for the majority of us raised on a Western diet, turmeric is not included. So how do you eat turmeric??
We asked this question in Doug English’s Turmeric User Group (over 270,000 members) to find out the most popular way to consume turmeric for people who are new to the flavour.
First, try a fraction of a teaspoon of Golden Paste straight down the hatch.
That’s right, some people prefer to treat it as "medicine" and chase it with a drink. See what you think, some enjoy the Earthy taste.
What follows are some great ideas for people who may be struggling to consume turmeric on a daily basis.
You have to make the Golden Paste first and then add that after cooking or heating your other dish/drink, DO NOT reheat G.P after it's prepared. Keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks and just add a little teaspoon to your choice...
In your drink...
By far the most popular option appears to be adding G.P to a favourite drink. Here are a few of our members' suggestions:
- Create "Golden Milk" (Golden Paste mixed into milk)
- Turmeric tea (and adding some ginger was also popular)
- G.P mixed into coffee
- Tomato juice
- In a smoothie (avoid honey and other sweeteners!)
- In a broth
- With fermented drinks such as kombucha or kefir
- Orange juice
In your food...
- Soups and stews are a popular option as the flavour of G.P does not dominate the final flavour
- As a salad dressing - add some G.P to olive oil and some apple cider vinegar and you have a tangy dressing to spice up your lettuce leaves
- In curries and stir-fries - the Asian diet is a terrific accompaniment to turmeric. Don’t forget to add G.P to your sauce!
- With eggs - scrambled, omelettes and devilled
- In plain yoghurt. A teaspoon of G.P with a tablespoon (or 2) of natural (unsweetened) yoghurt
There are lots of ways to eat Golden Paste...
- In your Cereal (particularly porridge)
- With peanut butter
- Mixed with black pudding
- Spread on toast or on a cracker
- With mashed potatoes is great
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE?